What we do
Smiths Detection is a global leader in detection and screening technologies for the protection of people and assets, supporting safety, security and freedom of movement in today’s world.
We work with customers in a broad range of markets including aviation, ports & borders, defence and urban security, providing complete solutions that address existing and emerging threats.
Smiths Detection’s reputation is underpinned by extensive experience, differentiated technology, and a strong track record of success.
A global presence
We sell our products in over 200 countries and territories. We have five Research & Development centres that design and develop the latest innovations in detection technology. We’re a trusted partner to many of the world’s governments that require the security, scalability and operational efficiency of our solutions to keep populations safe.
£127m2019 headline operating profit
- Smiths Detection
- Smiths Group
We support customers in four main market sectors; aviation, ports and borders, urban security and the military. Each relies on our experience, knowledge and performance to help ensure the safety and security of people and assets.
- Persistent and evolving terror threats
- Changing security regulations in the aviation market
- Growing urbanisation and the need to protect people and assets in these environments
- Global growth in e-commerce and passenger numbers
- Equipment replacement cycle, typically 7-10 years
- Growth of transportation infrastructure in Asia, Latin America and Africa
Solutions include chemical and radiation detection, heavy cargo and vehicle inspection, people screening, explosive and narcotic detection and x-ray screening. We also specialise in integrated solutions for checkpoints, hold baggage and air cargo.
We have an extensive global aftermarket service that ensures operations continue to meet all regulatory standards and future proof customer investments with upgrade options and preventative maintenance programmes.
Our customers include over 100 governments and their agencies.
Our strategy is to maintain our position as a leading technology provider by building high-integrity detection solutions that support our customers’ evolving security needs.
We will accelerate growth by working closely with our partners, suppliers and regulatory bodies to deliver a highly agile approach to changing security threats. We will create value by continually improving our hardware and digital solutions, making it easier for customers to engage with us and by becoming more efficient.
OUTPERFORMING OUR CHOSEN MARKETS
- At least maintaining our share of the installed base during recapitalisation periods
- Continued product development and certifications to support growth
- Continued focus on higher-growth regions supported by contract wins
DELIVER WORLD-CLASS COMPETITIVENESS
- Globalise, standardise and streamline our internal processes utilising continuous improvement initiatives and leveraging global best practices
- Focus on supplier development and reduction of COPQ
27 October 2019Smiths Detection to enhance Sydney Airport’s carry-on bag and hold baggage screening with Computed Tomography (CT) based explosives detection system
03 October 2019Melbourne Airport Terminal 4: First major airport in Australia to go ‘live’ with latest checkpoint scanners