What we do
Smiths Detection safeguards people, business and infrastructure with the latest innovations in screening technology. We are a leader in the detection and identification of security threats and contraband. With over 40 years’ experience in airport security and advancing digital capabilities for monitoring ports and borders, continued investment in technology to help combat a rising urban security threat, and over 50 years working with the military at the frontline, Smiths Detection is helping make the world a safer place.
A global presence
We sell our products in over 200 countries. We have five Research & Development centres that design and develop the latest innovations in detection technology. We’re a trusted partner to many of the world’s governments that require the security, scalability and operational efficiency of our solutions to keep populations safe.
£127m2019 headline operating profit
- Smiths Detection
- Smiths Group
We support customers in four main market sectors; aviation, ports and borders, urban security and the military. Each relies on our experience, knowledge and performance to help ensure the safety and security of people and assets.
- Persistent and evolving terror threats
- Changing security regulations for air cargo and passengers
- Growing urbanisation and the need to protect people and assets
- Global trade, e-commerce and passenger numbers
- Equipment replacement cycle, typically 7–10 years
- Growth of security infrastructure in emerging markets
Solutions include chemical and radiation detection, heavy cargo and vehicle inspection, people screening, explosive and narcotic detection and x-ray screening. We also specialise in integrated solutions for checkpoints, hold baggage and air cargo.
We have an extensive global aftermarket service that ensures operations continue to meet all regulatory standards and future proof customer investments with upgrade options and preventative maintenance programmes.
Our customers include over 100 governments and their agencies.
We aim to equip our customers with high-integrity solutions that satisfy security needs in the context of an ever-evolving threat and regulatory environment, while meeting their broader commercial and operational requirements. Through technology-led investment, we also play an increasingly important role in future proofing our customers’ business through digital transformation.
We continue to drive profitable revenues from aftermarket, digital products and software upgrades to extend machine life and counteract the volatility of prime contracting.
Operational improvements based on quality, waste elimination and reduced lead times are delivering savings, which are reinvested in the development of products and software solutions.
- Complete the integration of Morpho Detection
- Extend presence and capabilities in ports and borders and urban security market segments
- Refresh our go-to-market approach in key geographies – especially Asia
- Drive R&D investment behind key initiatives
- Deliver further growth in aftermarket and digital revenues
- Maintain focus on continuous improvement initiatives