Safety of our people
Supporting our people and our leaders through this unprecedented period has been a key responsibility of the Smiths leadership team. We pay tribute to the amazing dedication, commitment and contribution our colleagues have made to keeping themselves and others safe and well, while helping us continue to operate and serve our customers.
The response to COVID-19 has been led by a dedicated Crisis Core team, leading a number of sub-groups made up of functional and divisional experts (sites also have local response teams). Our main aim throughout has been to keep our colleagues as safe and well as possible.
Much effort has gone into understanding and respecting individual personal circumstances and balancing these with the needs of the business. This has been coupled with the provision of practical support on the ground to ensure colleague wellbeing and safety.
A regular cadence of internal communications using a variety of mediums has ensured our colleagues have remained well informed and in regular dialogue with our leadership teams, further reinforcing a sense of belonging to Smiths, integral to our culture.
A values-led approach was adopted from the beginning of the crisis ensuring trust, integrity and serving the needs of our customers were at the core of the approach.
The response from our workforce has been outstanding and it is thanks to them that the business remains strong and able to continue to serve the needs of our customers with passion and excellence.
Practical examples of the measures put in place include:
- An absolute focus on providing the safest possible working environments for those needing to be on our premises and those visiting customers and partners. This includes our Group-wide HSE (Health, Safety and Environment) committee ensuring stringent safety and security protocols in compliance with local requirements, and sharing best practices across the Group, and providing constant support including through 24-hour monitored safety@Smiths email.
- Enabling and supporting those able to work from home to do so
- Producing tens of thousands of face coverings in-house and distributing employee PPE proactively
- Pursuing a consistent approach, in relation to COVID-19, for health benefits, life insurance, sick pay and absence; aligning our divisions and regions as much as possible
- Partnering with ISOS (International SOS) medical staff on safety guidance and promoting use of the ISOS app for local safety information
- Implementing a new colleague emergency contact details tool
- Resilience webinars and hints and tips for leaders
- Wellness materials delivered through the new cross-business THRIVE programme
- The creation of bespoke COVID-19 resource sites on our intranet and our Smiths Now colleague app for universal access to COVID-19 related guidance and support materials, including a regularly updated FAQ, translated into all our core languages
- Regular and two-way communication including weekly all-colleague updates containing the latest guidance and information from the Crisis Core team. This received an 89% approval rating from colleagues. Board, Chief Executive and Executive Committee email and video communications, plus a #thankyoufrontline social campaign on Smiths Now.